What can I tow on my licence?

What exhibition trailer can I tow on my licence? Are you thinking of towing an exhibition trailer but not sure whether your licence covers you? We often get asked this type of question, so here we give you some basic advice on towing exhibition units, with links for further information to help steer you in the right direction.

1. Check your licence permits you to tow an exhibition trailer.

Basically, this all depends on when you passed your driving test. The following details what you can tow on your licence

Licences held from 19th January 2013

If your licence was issued from 19th January 2013 and you passed a category B (car and small vehicle) test then you can tow:

  • Small trailers (up to 750kg)
  • Trailers weighing more than 750kg – as long as combined towing vehicle and trailer weight isn’t more than 3,500kg Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM)

To be able to tow an exhibition trailer weighing more than 750kg (when combined weight of towing vehicle and trailer is over 3,500kg) you will need to pass a further test and get B + E entitlement on your licence.

Licences held from 1st January 1997

If you’ve held your licence from 1st January 1997 and have a category B (car) licence then you can drive:

  • A vehicle with a MAM of up to 3,500kg towing a trailer of up to 750kg MAM (combined weight up to 4,250kg)
  • A trailer over 750kg MAM that weighs no more than the unladen, ‘kerb’ weight of the towing vehicle. The combined weight should be no more than 3,500kg in total.

Licences held before 1st January 1997

If you passed your test before 1st January 1997, you are entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combined up to 8.25 tonnes MAM.

This weight of vehicle or trailer includes the maximum load that can be carried safely when it’s in use on the road.

With this licence you’re also entitled to drive a minibus with trailer over 750 kg MAM

The following link gives more details on exactly what your licence permits you to drive:




2. Type of suitable towing vehicle:

  • Many 4×4’s are suitable for towing exhibition units.
  • In the UK, a tachograph will only be required on the vehicle if total combined weight is more than 3.5 tonnes

The following links give more details on tachographs:






  • Vans – If considering using a van, you will need a tachograph installing to the vehicle if the vehicle is being used in connection with a trade or business, or you are carrying goods for hire or reward and ONLY if you exceed a Gross Mass of 3500kg.
  • A vehicle with a permitted Gross Mass in excess of 3.5 tonnes, or 3,500kg is now required by European Law to obey EU Driver Hours and Tachograph Law if vehicle used in connection with “hire and reward” for business use. Advice can be found on here:


3. Trailer checks

The following is a link to a DVSA guide to towing small trailers which gives further help and advice on the types of trailer checks that should be conducted. NB: Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) merged on 1st April 2014 with Driving Standards Agency (DSA) and became Driver and Vehicle Standards Agency (DVSA)


Don’t Forget

If no one in your company has a suitable licence, then some customers encourage their staff to take the additional test. Alternatively TowMaster can manage delivery of your trailer for you, so you don’t need to worry about towing your exhibition trailer at all.

If you’re picking your trailer up, we can advise and help with hooking it up to your vehicle safely for that added peace of mind.

Get In Touch

We hope you find this advice on who can towing exhibition units and the links contained within it useful, but if you have any other questions let us know. We would be delighted to help.